Like you I was taking it easy over the holiday weekend. Having time to reflect on the founding of our nation I recalled Washington’s Farewell Address letter. In my opinion it is a Must Read. Most of our high school studies along with Hollywood do not leave us with an accurate picture of the man and the new nation.
Imagine a country of Rivals rather than a Unified Nation. That was the general state of affairs. The War for Independence was one of the main catalysts that brought us together. The Colonists hated the British more than they hated each other. George Washington was convinced to serve a second term by his friends. The fear was that without him the new nation would be “torn apart” without his leadership.
Washington Convinced to Stay a Second Term - Wikipedia
Jefferson, who disagreed with many of the president’s policies and would later lead the Democratic-Republicans in opposition to many Federalist policies, joined his political rival Hamilton, the leader of the Federalists. He convinced the president to delay his retirement and serve a second term, fearing that without his leadership the nation would be torn apart.
Unity and Sectionalism - Wikipedia
To promote the strength of the Union, he urges the people to place their identity as Americans above their identities as members of a state, city, or region, and focus their efforts and affection on the country above all other local interests. Washington further asks the people to look beyond any slight differences between them in religion, manners, habits, and political principles, and place their independence and liberty above all else, wanting everyone to be united.
In relation to Political Parties, George Washington goes on to give us warnings that are very relevant today. Again from Wikipedia:
Washington goes on and acknowledges the fact that parties are sometimes beneficial in promoting liberty in monarchies, but argues that political parties must be restrained in a popularly elected government because of their tendency to distract the government from their duties, create unfounded jealousies among groups and regions, raise false alarms amongst the people, promote riots and insurrection, and provide foreign nations and interests access to the government where they can impose their will upon the country.
When I think about the tactics used by the Democratic Party over the past I ask myself the following questions.
- Who promotes tensions between blacks, whites and hispanics by consistently throwing out unfounded claims that someone is a racist?
- Who promotes tension between the sexes by using the term “war on women”?
- Who promotes envy of the rich and tries to divide us into a “them versus us” mindset?
- Which political party starts riots?
I also distinguish between people who are Democrats and their party officials and prominent Democratic Politicians. Think of people like Hillary, Elizabeth Warren, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and others. They are ALL Dividers rather than Uniters.
- When Conservatives, Republicans and Donald Trump talk about Immigration they are addressing Law & Safety, NOT Race.
- What Republican is having a “war on women”? I can’t think of one.
- Who has more billionaires on their side, Democrats or Republicans? The answer is Democrats. See this link.
- Who starts riots and commits 99% of the political violence? Democrats. Think of Occupy Wall Street, New Black Panthers, Anti Trump activists and compare their activities to the most notable Conservative movement in recent history, the Tea Party.
Undecided voters, think about this.