On a recent trip from central PA to Chicago, I visited with a Vets for Trump friend, Joe Episcopo. We found ourselves near Trump Tower. We took a few pictures in front of the Real Fake art in front of Trump Tower before heading up to the 16th floor to check out the view. It is worth the visit. In part, the Real Fake art is the inspiration for this post.
We know that some segment of our population struggles with questions related to the term Fake News. Why would anyone distort the news? Why do I as the de facto national spokesman for Vets for Trump support President Trump on the subject? Who do you trust? These are all very good questions.
Here is my opinion. Notice the keyword is “opinion” and that is where we begin. When I was young we had about 1 hour of news per day. It was from 6 PM to 7 PM. Half an hour was for local news and half an hour was for world news. There was little to no time on television for opinion journalism let alone advocacy journalism. That was relegated to some Sunday shows and the editorial pages of a newspaper. For you younger readers, the internet and smartphones did not yet exist. Today we have multiple 24 hour TV & radio news stations as well as hundreds if not thousands of websites that appear to be news. We are not even talking about Social Media outlets. Those numbers are staggering. The competition for advertising dollars is enormous.
Shortly after retiring from the Air Force I opened a web company that relied heavily on traffic to a website for revenue. The more traffic (visitors) the more money you can demand from advertisers. The same is true on TV, radio, and print. With that in mind, I will now try to answer the question(s).
Why would anyone distort the news?
- First and foremost I believe it is policy to keep advertising money coming in. Follow the money!
- The natural slant of the news organization.
- The opinions held by the particular person or panel delivering the news.
- The inability for the public to distinguish between hard news and opinion.
Why do I support President Trump calling out Fake News?
- Many older Americans received a quality education. The younger generation only gets it when you create a slogan that sticks with them like “Fake News.”
- Most of what presents itself as news is now opinion or advocacy journalism.
- In my opinion, it has recently slipped more towards advocacy journalism which is the worst kind of journalism. This is evidenced by the deepening divide in America before Candidate Trump announced.
- When Candidate Trump was seen as a real contender hard news journalists were showing more emotion than normal.
- Now that he is President Trump many in the so called Conservative Camp have turned against him. This is because he wants to “drain the swamp” and that means they may lose their jobs or special interest perks.
- I see a little of myself in President Trump, just a little. He is tired of excuses and being politically correct. The Media thinks they are in control and have wielded power for a long time. They have an obligation to be objective but obviously, have lost all objectivity with only a few exceptions.
- My list could go on and on but I’m going to stop here.
Who do you trust?
- I guess it just depends on your outlook on life. Outside of God, I trust few people.
I hear some Conservative talking heads saying things like “There is the loyal Trump supporter whose mind you will never change.” Does that mean they want to change my mind? Does that mean they think my mind should be changed? The thing that bothers me about this statement is it seems degrading. It is not like I think the man is perfect. Who is? I see his shortcomings and say, so what? The economy is doing better than ever, our enemies fear us and I feel better about the future in general. Isn’t that more important than feeling all warm and fuzzy about the guy leading our nation? I want him to be one uncompromising person when it comes to America First. Sure, we have a heart for others but we Americans and Veterans are Family and I believe in Family First! You know President Trump loves his family. I believe he loves his country in a similar fashion. Not just loves but really Big League loves 🙂