In George Washington’s Farewell Address he acknowledges the fact that parties are sometimes beneficial in promoting liberty in monarchies but argues that political parties must be restrained in a popularly elected government because of their tendency to distract the government from their duties, create unfounded jealousies among groups and regions, raise false alarms among the people, promote riots and insurrection, and provide foreign nations and interests access to the government where they can impose their will upon the country.
Most clear-thinking Americans realize the words of George Washington have proven themselves out today. Let’s look at his warnings line by line again and ask the question:
- Is our government distracted from their duties?
- Are there unfounded jealousies among groups and regions? (Think gays, women, blacks, Hispanics, whites, rich versus poor and rural versus cities)
- Are there false alarms among the people? (Russia probe, Ukraine Impeachment, etc.)
- Have there been riots and are people now fearful of insurrection?
- Have foreign governments seized the opportunity to both overtly and covertly impose their will on the United States?
I’m not sure how you rate these in your mind but in my view, all the things George Washington warned of have come to fruition. So, when President Trump reaches commutes sentences like Blagojevich it is a good thing. Do not fall victim to the fear-mongering. The world as you know it isn’t coming to an end because a Republican President commutes the sentence of a Democrat.
I welcome your comments.